Most of the objects used in IBM Cognos BI are organized in a tree like structure in IBM Cognos Connection. Think of folders, packages, reports and agents. But in fact, Cognos Connection contains much more objects that you don’t see by default, like notifications, messages, dashboard components, etc. All these objects are however also contained in the explorer tree of IBM Cognos Connection.
Just as the visible objects, these are organized in the tree in a hierarchical fashion where the parent object acts as a folder. Think of a package object containing a number of reports (which is BAD practice). In the same way other objects contain their child objects as if they were folders.
The only thing you need is the parent search path en treat the paren object as if it was a folder. How?
1. Locate the search path in Cognos Connection
Go to the properties of an object like an agent or dashboard and copy the search path. This will be something like “/content/folder[@name=’02 Packages and Models’]/folder[@name=’Packages’]”.
2. Compose the URL to consult a folder
To browse to a folder you will use a hyperlink. This hyperlink is composed of 3 parts:
- The gateway path to your environment, something like “http://servername/ibmcognos/cgi-bin/cognosisapi.dll”.
- The action path defining what you want to do or see. For a folder this can be “?b_action=xts.run&m=portal/cc.xts&m_path=”.
- The search path of your target parent object, example “/content/folder[@name=’02 Packages and Models’]/folder[@name=’Packages’]”.
Glued together you get “http://localhost/ibmcognos/cgi-bin/cognosisapi.dll?b_action=xts.run&m=portal/cc.xts&m_path=/content/folder[@name=’02 Packages and Models’]/folder[@name=’Packages’]”.
Objects in an Event “folder”:
Objects in a Report “folder”:
Objects in a Workspace Dashboard “folder”: